Search Here

Search Here

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Training Tips

“It’s better to train your people and have them leave than it is to not train them and they stay or they don’t get training and they leave.”

OK, so it’s no shock I’m a HUGE proponent of training.obviously, Make It Great! and Joyful Jubilant Learning), attend as many conferences as I (and my day job) can afford, subscribe to about 300 blogs, 1 great podcast, and read as many books as I can, as often as I can.

In recent conversations with many other smart managers, we had a discussion about the importance of training, and I thought I’d share our conversation with you, and ask that you share YOUR thoughts about training in the comments below.

In recent conversations with many other smart managers, we had a discussion about the importance of training, and I thought I’d share our conversation with you, and ask that you share YOUR thoughts about training in the comments below.

  • NEVER enough training
  • Just in time training is number one way folks get trained – have a need, get the trainin
  • All people learn differently – need variety of methods to teach your folks
o In person
o Videos
o Hands on
o Online
o Reading manuals and documentation
o Observation with others on team
  • Learning is a PROCESS not an event
  • Use the building block approach - today builds on yesterday
  • Must schedule the time or folks will multi-task and not pay attention, or just miss training altogether
  • Knowledge base/wiki helps with the knowledge curve

Key to training: Put the skills into practice shortly after training or retention is super low (if at all)

What do YOU think?

Do you agree training is important, or don’t you care about having a GREAT team?....




Two Quotes:

"Everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was." - Robert Louis Stevenson


"The best place to succeed is where you are with what you have." - Charles M. Schwab

Two Questions:


Where are you?


What do you have?




Bonus Question:



Are you poised to receive YOUR greatness today?

1 comments:

Ramana Rajgopaul said...

I landed up in your blog by accident and am quite impressed with your attitude towards training. I am a retired Management Professional with a great deal of experience in training people at all levels and am as enthusiastic as you appear to be about this. I have my own blog which is http://www.rummuser.com in which I post a number of articles, none of which so far on training. Would you like to post a guest post? Please respond to my email address given below.

Search Here

Search Here